Publication Bans vs. Press Freedom & Open Courts
Panelists: Ryder Gilliand, Alyshah Hasham, Paul Schabas, Alexi Wood
Moderator: Justin Safayeni
CFE Virtual Forum Series:
The “open court” principle is a cornerstone of our legal system. The Supreme Court has reaffirmed stringent conditions for any judge considering whether to limit what can be reported from the courtroom. In practice, however, publication bans are often granted on scant argument or evidence. Join our panel in examining what this means for press freedom, the public’s right to know, and the integrity of our legal system.
Co-sponsors: Edmonton Public Library, Milton Public Library, Ryerson Journalism Research Centre, Thunder Bay Public Library, Toronto Public Library, Vancouver Public Library
- Ryder Gilliand, Past President, Canadian Media Lawyers Association
- Alyshah Hasham, Courts Reporter, Toronto Star
- Paul Schabas, Judge, Ontario Superior Court
- Alexi Wood, Founding Partner, St. Lawrence Barristers LLP
- Justin Safayeni, Partner, Stockwoods LLP
Zoom link to event ryerson.zoom.us/j/91941276567
This is a free event and no registration is required.
Please contact email@example.com if you require accommodation to ensure inclusion in this event.